Davao Homeschooling Family: Davao Homeschooling Resources: Offline Edition

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Davao Homeschooling Resources: Offline Edition

Hello, hello! A handful of moms asked me where I get my homeschooling items here in Davao City and I shared with them the few stores that I buy from. I figured it would make a good post in case there's someone out there searching "where to buy homeschool items in Davao" :) Without much further ado, here's my top 3 favorite stores for our homeschooling needs:

1. BOOKSALE - This is a bookstore that sells preloved books so it's very, very affordable. I bought several almost-new Level 1 reading books from them for only P20 each! My usual budget when I go rummaging in BookSale is P100-150, and that's good for 5-10 books already. Frugal me is very happy! :) BookSale has branches in different Davao malls. It's in SM Ecoland (second floor), NCCC Matina (ground floor), SM Lanang to name a few. Here's some of our photos while visiting BookSale and the books we bought from it:

Recent rummage in BookSale, mid-2014 in SM Ecoland I think.

All the Christmas books here (left side) are from BookSale. That awesome Charlie Brown Christmas was only P75 and in mint condition! Love love!

Hardbound books of classic nursery songs with hand / body movements (Eensy Weensy Spider, Row Row Your Boat, This Little Piggy, etc) for only P25 each! I bought all I could find, 7books in all, hihi! That's the stack of books in lower left :)

From 2013! This is in NCCC Matina BookSale :) Aside from story books, there's also school activity books here and non-fiction (animals, plants, science) for your homeschool subjects.

2. THE SM STORE / TOY KINGDOM - I lumped these two stores together because they have the same stocks of story books and workbooks. In The SM Store (aka SM Department Store), the books are found in the Stationery / Office Supplies section.  When I started homeschooling the kids they were 1+ and 3+ years old so we never did any workbooks or anything that involved formal writing. As I shared in the Homeschooling Young Kids post, all I used for "teaching" them were manipulatives~ wooden blocks, play dough, bricks, puzzles, even food! All we did was sensory play :)

In June 2014, I saw the workbooks pictured below in Toy Kingdom and I was smitten! It seemed child-friendly and when I check the inside pages, it was indeed friendly. The best thing? It was buy1take1 for P150 and there was even a free pop-up book! It was a no-brainer~ I bought it and thankfully, The Eldest loved answering it! We have the entire collection of Math and English workbooks from Nursery to K2 after scouring different TKs and SMs, haha. We have so far finished Nursery and K1, and we'll probably start K2 on February. 

Nursery English workbook has basic ABCs. Story on my IG here.

Nursery Math has numbers, simple addition and subtraction. My assessment of The Eldest when she finished this book is here.

So surprised when The Eldest wrote "one"! I never taught her the names of the numbers, much less write it. Full story of this moment is documented here.

3. NATIONAL BOOKSTORE (NBS) - Who would forget the "bookstore ng bayan"? Not I, haha! Books in NBS are usually pricey if you compare it with BookSale prices, but hey, it's brand-new. Still, we really don't need brand-new books, so our NBS loot are mostly art materials (see photo below) and educational supplies (paper, glue, tapes, etc). I only buy books in NBS when it's on sale at P50 or P100 and below~ yeah, I'm a cheapskate mom ;-) Funnily, I don't have IG pics of NBS books that we bought. I'll update this post next time when I find some.

The Eldest loves to color  and paint. She said she wanted to be a painter / architect when she grows up.

Doing an ArtAttack plate project. The finished art product is below. Love it! 

TA-DAHHH!

And that's about it for now Davao homeschoolers! I'll add new stores when I find affordable and useful homeschooling supplies in them. How about you? What are your favorite Davao homeschooling supply stores? Kindly share in the comments below! Thank you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CurrClick